Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Response to Prompt 8 (Thanksgiving)

I agree, I feel that Thanksgiving is another holiday that has fallen to the commercialization of the economy. All holidays have become commercialized, the true meanings behind holidays have been lost for quite a while and it has only been getting worse. From a business stand point, holidays are prime times to get people to spend their money. Something that i think is very true and will never change is, holidays are time where people get together and everyone wants to impress everyone else. So people go out and splurge on decorations, new china, and an outfit to wear. Although I do not believe that holidays are all about impressing those who I will be around, I still give in. Thanksgiving in my family has stayed consistent, the same people cook the same dishes every year, the same people host at their house, and it is at the same time every year, and I never get tired of it. I think since my family has all of the logistics planned out (thoroughly) we are allowed the time, that many lack, to sit back and reflect on how grateful we are for each other. During the preparation of the dinner I have so much fun with my family just doing simple things like setting up the tables or running around town looking for a certain type of juice because not just any juice is acceptable. We laugh, we congregate, we fellowship, and I love it! I do not think the true meaning of Thanksgiving will ever leave my family. Although it might sound corny, before we can start eating we have to stand in a circle and talk about what we are thankful for, recite a bible verse pertaining to that topic, and contribute to the prayer. I feel all of our small traditions keep us together, we are forever leaning new things and gaining new appreciations for each other. In my opinion, Thanksgiving is a day dedicated to reflecting on what God, your parents, your family, and your friends have done for you. Its a day to spend with the ones you love and have a great time. I do not see harm in people going to clubs or bars on Thanksgiving, unless they are making getting to that venue their priority then there is a problem. The younger side of my family will go out after dinner while the older members sit around and watch movies or listen to music and have their own party. In my family Thanksgiving is not just one day, Thanksgiving goes from Thursday to Sunday, so after we have had our dosage of all that love we are grounded. I think showing gratitude is one of the easiest things you can do, buying an appreciation gift, card, or flowers always works but a simple thank you makes a huge difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment