Monday, December 14, 2009
Response to Prompt 5 (Eating Meat)
I have been a vegetarian for, going on, two years to date. Although, I love animals and I am very passionate about the well being and proper treatment of them, that is not why I stopped eating meat. I stopped eating meat because I started to notice that it started tasting different and I would not feel all that well after eating so I initially limited my meat intake, then I eliminated red meats, until I finally just decided to stop eating meat completely. Ever since I have been meatless I my life has seriously improved. My body got a lot more toned and I lost what baby fat I had left, my skin cleared up, I was not as prone to breakouts as before, I gained a lot more energy and stamina, I could perform under scorching lights in an elaborate costume without being extremely exhausted, and the list goes on. When I first eliminated meat completely I was not sure how long I would be able to keep it up since I lived in a family who loved to grill, fry, sauté, and bake any and everything they could. But it became a personal challenge to me, I would say to myself "I'm in control of me" and I would not give in to my cravings. The cravings never stop, every time I think about what my favorite dishes used to taste like I want to just give in for a little while and indulge but end the end I do not think it would be worth it. Being a vegetarian is not easy in a society that is just now warming up to the idea, when going out with friends and/or family to restaurants my options are always limited, and that gets very annoying. It can also become very expensive, I cannot just go to a fast food restaurant and order a meal off of the value menu, I am normally limited to french fries and a drink, and that is definitely not a meal. Tofu is an alternative and when cooked correctly and mixed into the correct dish is great; however, in my opinion, tofu has no flavor, it just tastes like whatever you season it to taste like. I think that the meat industry has become extremely corrupt in the sense of how they are raising their meat and and pumping them with steroids so my answer to the prompt is no, i do not think we should eat meat.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment