Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Response to Prompt 4 (Movies and Violence)

I do think that movies, and all other forms of media, can influence a weak minded individual to act upon a suppressed urge. There are crazy people that look to horror/suspense/mystery movies as inspiration for the action they are plotting. If some mentally unstable person could relate with the character to which is committing the violent acts, I could imagine a scheme to imitate those actions. I also think that movies have a big effect on younger people who; a. Don't know right from wrong, due to a lack of discipline from their parents. b. Have been bullied and/or teased by their peers. or c. Have really vivid imaginations. I also think that the movies do a horrible job of stressing the fact that the killers have serious mental problems but when a movie like Saw or the show Dexter is made into a saga with the story line of a "mastermind" killing people who do wrong, I think that can send terrible messages to the views like its ok the kill that bad people. I only believe that movies can have this big of an influence on those who are incapable of thinking for themselves. I feel that it is the parents job, as parents, to instill the ideas of right and wrong in their child. Many serial killers anger comes from past vendettas with their parents so as long as the parents love and teach their children I don't think that a movie will be able a youth to sway into the mindset of a killer

No comments:

Post a Comment